Michael Donelson practices civil litigation with an emphasis on professional liability, personal injury, and product liability defense. Prior to completing law school, Mike worked for 11 years as a liability analyst in the insurance industry, the last 6 years of which were with a major physician’s professional liability carrier.
As a practicing lawyer, Mike’s focus has been civil litigation and trial practice. He has extensive experience in investigating and developing case strategy for complex litigation cases, including the identification and retention of appropriate expert witnesses, deposing key witnesses and experts, and developing trial strategy. Mike has extensive trial experience as he has had primary responsibility for both jury and bench trials in the state and federal courts of Missouri and Illinois.
Mike’s philosophy is to be prepared and solution oriented by identifying the key issues of a case early and working with his client to develop the best strategy to reach an advantageous outcome, either through trial or being able to negotiate from a position of strength.
- In Property Management Co. v. General Contractor, Mike represented an architectural firm in a multi-party lawsuit brought by a property owner who alleged building and design defects in a large apartment complex with damages in excess of $800,000. During the course of the litigation, Mike used his knowledge and understanding of his client’s role in the case to elicit helpful testimony from several witnesses which allowed him to negotiate a favorable settlement on his client’s behalf, saving his client significant defense costs and liability exposure at trial.
- In Patient v. Urologist, Mike assisted in the defense of a urologist who was sued for an alleged negligently performed vasectomy. Mike’s examination of the subsequent treating physician provided key testimony at trial which led to a verdict in favor of his client after a five day trial.
- In Patient v. Surgeon, Mike assisted in the defense of two general surgeons who were accused of negligently managing the post-operative care of a woman who developed post-operative bleeding and died. Mike diligently investigated the case and retained appropriate expert witnesses which allowed for the case to be successfully defended through trial.
- In Patron v Casino, Mike represented a construction company in claim brought by a casino patron who claimed that she had fallen on uneven pavement and ultimately required a total knee replacement. Through diligent investigation and thorough examination of witnesses in the case, Mike was able to get his client dismissed from the lawsuit without payment of any settlement.
- In Steelworker v. General Contractor, Mike represented the general contractor sued by a steelworker who claimed a job related back injury requiring multiple surgeries. Mike’s thorough investigation and deposition skills provided the basis by which his client was to obtain a dismissal of the case with only a nominal payment.
- In Insured v. Insurance Company, Mike represented a pedestrian struck and seriously injured by an underinsured driver. Through his knowledge of the insurance industry, Mike was able to identify additional amounts of insurance coverage and convince the insurance company of its liability in order to secure his client fair compensation.