For nearly 40 years, Ron Fox has successfully represented clients in over a thousand cases in more than 35 jurisdictions nationwide. Currently, Ron’s active practice includes maritime, personal injury, and environmental law. He has tried close to 100 cases to verdict or judgment, including maritime, medical malpractice, products liability, trucking, contracts, will contests, and insurance coverage. Ron also has defended FELA, employment, and other high exposure cases. Ron was recognized as an outstanding oral advocate in law school and began his career in 1981 as a law clerk to Missouri Supreme Court Judge A.J. Higgins. Recognized as a premier trial attorney, Ron is “AV” rated and listed as a Super Lawyer, Top 100 High Stakes Litigator, and Best Lawyer in America. On many occasions, Ron has been a speaker at national conferences on maritime law issues and trial techniques. Based on his wide trial experience, Ron has helped clients settle many types of cases, with and without mediation. Trained as a mediator at the University of Missouri Law School Center for Dispute Resolution, Ron brings a skilled and informed voice to mediations, helping litigants to understand the benefits of compromise over the expense, disruption, and risk of trial.
- Over 15 judgments denying seaman status to Jones Act plaintiffs, including 6 jury verdicts.
- Defense verdict in a million dollar maritime contract and bailment action related to the Great Flood of 1993.
- Numerous defense verdicts in Jones Act cases tried throughout the Midwest, including challenging jurisdictions such as the City of St. Louis, Madison and St. Clair County, Illinois, and federal district court in East St. Louis.
- Defense verdict for a hospital in Madison County, Illinois, in a suit charging wrongful death for failure to diagnose a dissecting aortic aneurysm.
- Multi-million dollar judgment for a prominent St. Louis brewing family member in a will contest trial.
- Defense verdict in the City of St. Louis for a refuse truck manufacturer involving crush injuries and death.
- Restricting plaintiff’s verdict to $8,100 after a Fortune 50 client admitted liability following a trucking accident resulting in plaintiff’s above-the-knee amputation.
- Successfully defending Japanese kerosene heater manufacturers in numerous product liability burn and fire damage cases.
- Obtaining a judgment for an insurance underwriter charged with bad faith, fraud, and punitive damages.
- Leading a team of attorneys in a major environmental action involving RCRA, clean air, and water claims resulting in an eight figure settlement for the client.
- Successful argument in the Missouri Supreme Court establishing a basis to defeat venue in the City of St. Louis.
- In the United States Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit, reversing a multi-million dollar verdict against a lawnmower manufacturer due to improper denial of the state-of-the-art defense.
- First appellate ruling in the United States to hold that maritime employers are entitled to a jury trial in Jones Act suits.
Recognized as a premiere maritime and trial attorney, Ron has published numerous articles on maritime issues and is a frequent speaker at national maritime conferences and on trial techniques. Ron began his legal career as a clerk to Missouri Supreme Court Judge A.J. Higgins.
- Supreme Court
- Courts of Appeals, Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth Circuits
- Various District Courts in Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D.), 1981
- Washington University (B.S.), 1978
- Maritime Law Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Madison County Bar Assoc.
- St. Clair County Bar Assoc.
- Bar Assoc. of Metro. St. Louis
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers